The Embassy will be closed on Thursday 24 December 2020 untill Friday 1 January 2021 for the Christmas period.
The Australian Embassy will open again on Monday 4 January 2021 from 8.30hrs.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Links
- Smartraveller information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found here
- Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions to Australia can be found here
- Information on the Dutch government response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found here
- Information on the Australian government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) isolation guidance can be found here
- Australian Department of Health advice for international travellers can be found here
- State and Territory travel restrictions can be foud here
- RIVM health information and advice can be found here
- Further information from the Australian Government can be found here
Updated Advice for Australian Nationals Overseas
- The Australian Government advises all Australian nationals overseas who wish to return to Australia to do so as soon as possible by commercial means.
- All travellers, including Australian nationals and permanent residents, will be required to go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days from the date of their arrival.
- Financial support for vulnerable Australian citizens trying to return home is available.
If you are real need you can apply for an interest-free loan to help with the cost of a return flight where one can be arranged, or to assist with emergency living costs until a flight home to Australia becomes available.
Only those in genuine need will be provided loans. They are only available as a last-resort and you will have to meet strict eligibility criteria. All loans must be repaid.
For more information, eligibility criteria and to apply, see: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/covid-19/covid-19-overseas-financial-assistance
- If you need consular assistance overseas and you haven’t already done so, please register with us at https://covid19.dfat.gov.au. Registering does not guarantee we can facilitate your return to Australia.
- Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and local government measures to contain the outbreak, Embassy services to Australians may be affected.
During your stay in the Netherlands
RIVM, the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, is the responsible authority on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Netherlands. Please visit their website for the latest information and advice on the Coronavirus during your stay in the Netherlands. Their website is available in Dutch and English: https://www.rivm.nl/en
You can also follow them on social media:
RIVM on Twitter
RIVM on Facebook
RIVM on Linked-in
RIVM on YouTube
RIVM on Instagram
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises Australians and other foreign nationals who are currently holding a visa or a residence permit to ensure their lawful stay in the Netherlands.
The Netherlands has a policy in place to be forthcoming towards foreign nationals and to allow for (temporary) prolonged stay as a result of COVID-19 related travel restrictions.
Foreign nationals with a short-stay visa who need an extension due to the inability to leave as a result of the COVID-19 virus, can calI the Immigration and Naturalization Service by telephone (IND, tel. 088 - 04 304 30) to request an extension.
Note that the visa number needs to be provided by phone.
The extension will only be valid in the Netherlands and will be registered in the European Visa Information System (VIS).
Traveling to Australia
For the latest information with regards to traveling to Australia and Australian Government travel restrictions, please visit: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus
Entering or transiting through the UK
The UK Government has announced a mandatory 14-day period of self-isolation for residents and visitors entering the UK, effective 8 June 2020.
A transit passenger (an individual transiting to a country outside of the Common Travel Area) who remains airside and does not pass border control is exempted from self-isolation requirements.
For more information please visit:
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contacted us offering messages of support, condolence and solidarity around the devastating bushfires in Australia. For further information about the current bushfire situation, donating to bushfire relief, and offers of assistance, please see below.
Concerns for friends and family in Australia
Consular Emergency Centre of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs - 24/7 BZ contactcenter: if you are concerned about the safety of a Dutch citizen travelling in Australia, please contact the 24/7 BZ contactcenter of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands: +31 247 247 247 or via WhatsApp on +31 6 8238 7796
More information and contact details can be found here: https://www.nederlandwereldwijd.nl/contact/contact-met-het-24-7-bz-contactcenter
Australian Red Cross – ‘Register.Find.Reunite’: This service registers, finds and reunites family, friends and loved ones after an emergency - https://register.redcross.org.au
Details on the current bushfire situation
For information about the current bushfire situation, please visit the relevant state or territory emergency management website:
- New South Wales: https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/
- Victoria: https://www.emv.vic.gov.au/
- Queensland: https://www.disaster.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
- Western Australia: https://semc.wa.gov.au/
- South Australia: https://www.safecom.sa.gov.au/site/emergency_management.jsp
- Tasmania: http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions/osem
- Northern Territory: https://nt.gov.au/emergency
- Australian Capital Territory: https://esa.act.gov.au/
Bushfire relief donations
We have received a large number of enquires asking about organisations that are receiving donations. We are not aware of any Dutch charities accepting donations. The following Australian charities are accepting donations for bushfire relief:
- Australian Red Cross: www.redcross.org.au
- The Salvation Army: www.salvationarmy.org.au
- St Vincent de Paul: www.vinnies.org.au
- NSW Rural Fire Service: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
- Country Fire Association of Victoria: www.cfa.vic.gov.au
- South Australia Country Fire Service: www.cfsfoundation.org.au
- Wires (injured animals): www.wires.org.au
Sadly, scammers are pretending to be legitimate charities during the Australian bushfires. If you are planning to donate in support of Australian fire recovery efforts, ensure the charity is registered by searching Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission's register at: https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity
Offers of assistance
The Australian Government continues to receive offers of assistance from the global community, domestic organisations, groups and individuals. These requests are being worked through in close consultation with the states and territories to determine the best options to support our emergency service personnel and fire-affected communities.
Passport and Notarial Appointments
Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.
You can now also subscribe to the new SMS service - by supplying your mobile number – to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.
In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.
Visit www.smartraveller.gov.au to subscribe or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.
Get in Touch:
Calling all Australian Artists!
Are you, or someone you know, an Australian involved in the visual or performing arts here in the Netherlands? The Australian Embassy would like to hear from you!
The Australia-Netherlands Alumni Network
Have you studied in Australia? Visit our Study in Australia page for more information on how you can register for our network.
Australian Embassy Social Media