Australian Embassy
The Netherlands




Various changes to Australian Passport applications and applicable fees took effect in 2016.  Details of these changes can be found below. 


The following section contains information for Australian citizens needing  to apply for a new Australian passport or renew their existing passport.  

Please read the guidance carefully: incomplete or incorrect passport applications cannot be processed and this may cause delays in your application and have consequences for any planned travel. 


In order to apply for a passport, you will need to:

Complete the relevant application form 

You will need to complete an application form.  If you are unsure which forms you need to complete for your passport application, please check the passport application questionnaire on the Australian Passports website.  

If you are unable to complete the forms online you can request blank forms to be sent to you by the Embassy.

For detailed information on applying for an Australian passport while abroad, you should consult the Quick Overseas Application Guide .  


Provide appropriate supporting documents

You may be required to provide various supporting documents along with your application in order for us to verify your identity and your circumstances. 


Identification Documents

You may be required to include Birth Certificates, Citizenship Certificates, or ID documents with your application. 

If you need information on how to obtain these documents, please consult our Notarial Services and Official Documents page.

Children born to an Australian parent, outside of Australia, must obtain a Citizenship by Descent Certificate through the Australian High Commission in London,  before they can apply for an Australian Passport. 

You should be aware that all supporting documents provided with your application must be originals; photocopies are not acceptable. 


Passport Photographs

Photographs used in the application must conform to Australian passport photograph standards.  These standards are not the same as local Dutch ID card or passport sizing standards.  If your photographs do not meet the Australian standards, you will be required to obtain new photographs before your application can be processed.



To help us identify the person applying for an Australian passport, we also need someone  to act as a "guarantor" for the applicant (Note: if you are renewing an adult passport that has not expired by more than 3 years, a guarantor is not required).

For details of who can act as guarantor and what they should do, please consult the Passport Guarantors page.



All the signatures and photographs in your application are required to be less than 6 months old.


Lodge your application in person at the Embassy

In order to lodge a passport application, you (the applicant or their parent or guardian) will be required to attend the Embassy in person.  Please note: 

  • All applicants over 18 years of age must be personally present, and
  • Applications on behalf of a child under the age of 18 must be presented by a parent (or other person with parental responsibility). The parent will have to bring their own photo ID and proof of address (e.g. print of a bankstatement).

You can present for a passport interview at the Embassy on Monday to Friday from 09.00-12.00.  Make an appointment for your interview through the button below:

Book an appointment with Australian Embassy, The Hague using SetMore

By booking an appointment you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy: 
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) uses third-party software (Setmore) to manage the Embassy’s appointments. Your personal information (including your name and contact details) will be collected by DFAT via Setmore to book your appointment and for related purposes. By proceeding with this booking, you are consenting to the collection of this information by Setmore on DFAT’s behalf for these purposes. If this information is not collected, DFAT’s ability to arrange your appointment will be limited. Your personal information will be handled by Setmore in accordance with Setmore’s Privacy Policy (, and by DFAT in accordance with DFAT’s Privacy Policy (


Pay the applicable Passport Fee(s)

Payment Methods

Fees applicable for passport applications are set in Australia in accordance with the Australian Passports (Application Fees) Act 2005, and are subject to change in line with the relevant exchange rates.   Your payment must be received before processing of your application can begin - it is not possible to pay the fee on collection of your passport.

Payment must be made in Euros and can be paid with a credit or debit card or Dutch "pin" card at the Embassy.  Please contact the Embassy's Consular and Passport section if you are unable to make the payment with these methods.


Fees for Regular Issue

The Euro amount of passport fees is subject to revision on the first day of each month due to exchange rate fluctuations or changes to the fees under the Passport Act.  Please check the prices regularly. 

Fees September 2021

Ordinary Passports (34 Pages)




Adult (18 years of age and over) including overseas surcharge 272 436 10 years
Minor (16 - 17 years of age), including overseas surcharge 229 367 10 years
Minor (under 16 years of age), including overseas surcharge 136 218 5 years
Senior (over 75 years of age), including overseas surcharge 179 287 5 years
Emergency Passport (Restricted availability: please see below) 118 189  
Postage Fee (if you do not wish to return to pick up your passport) 9.05 - -
Overseas Surcharge for Adults (included above) 84 135  
Overseas Surcharge for Minors (included above) 41 66  


Processing Time

Regular processing time

Processing of your passport application can take up to 4 work weeks from the lodgement of a complete application and payment of the application fee. 


Urgent need to travel

The Australian Embassy in The Hague is not able to issue full validity passports with priority processing.  This service is only possible in Australia.

If you need a replacement passport and you have an urgent need to travel earlier than three weeks from the date of lodging your application you should inform the passport officer as soon as possible to request an emergency document.  You can do so by calling the Embassy's Consular and Passport section during office hours.

You should not book travel prior to confirming whether you will have the necessary passport or travel document.  It is also your responsibility to check whether the document you are issued is acceptable for travel to your destination.  


Need further guidance?

If you can't find the answer to your questions on this website or from the Australian Passports Office, you can contact the Embassy's Consular and Passport section by phone or by email



Frequent Traveller Passport will be discontinued from 1 December 2017

The Frequent Traveller Passport (FTP) will be discontinued from 1 December 2017.
The overall demand for FTPs has decreased as more countries are issuing electronic visas.

If you require any further information or to discuss the options on replacement passports you can contact the Embassy.

Changes having taken effect in January 2016

Passports for child applicants aged 16 or 17

Child applicants aged 16 or 17 will now be issued with a 10-year passport instead of the five year document issued to other minors.  Applications for 16 and 17 year olds still require parental consent, and must be lodged in person by the applicant and one parent.


Changes to lost / stolen fees and validity rules

Fees for lost and stolen passports have now been replaced by new validity rules applied to subsequent full validity passports.

If a person has lost or had their travel documents stolen immediately prior to the lodgement date:

  1. Twice in the five years immediately prior to the lodgement date, the validity of their new travel document will be reduced to five years;
  2. Three or more times in the five years immediately prior to the lodgement date, the validity of their new travel document will be reduced to two years.


Other changes occurring in 2016

Update on replacement passports for minors (full visa pages, minor damage, name change).

From 26 August 2020, Replacement Passports with a fee will be available to children on the  same basis as for adults.  The passport being replaced must have at least two years’ validity remaining. The replacement passport will have the same expiry date as the passport being replaced.

Phase out of parent’s Permanent Residency (PR) visa label as evidence of applicant’s citizenship.

After 31 March 2016, evidence of a parent’s Permanent Residency (PR) status at the time of the applicant’s birth will no longer be accepted as evidence of Australian Citizenship

Instead, applicants born after 20 August 1986 to a parent who was an Australian Permanent Resident at the time of their birth, will need to obtain a citizenship certificate to evidence their Australian Citizenship. This is possible by lodging a Form 119 with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection prior to lodging the passport application.