Australian Embassy
The Netherlands

Travelling to Australia

Travelling to Australia

Entering or Leaving Australia

All travellers, except citizens of Australia and New Zealand, must obtain a visa or electronic travel authority (ETA) before travelling to Australia.

You can find out more about applying for an Australian visa on our Visa, Migration and Citizenship page and on the website of the Department of Home Affairs.

Please note that the Australian Embassy in the Netherlands does not process visa applications and cannot offer visa or immigration advice.

Australian Citizens

It is important that you check your Australian Passport is valid (not expired) on the day of your arrival into Australia.

It does not need to have six-month remaining validity to enter Australia unless you are passing through a third country who requires it. If you are travelling to a different country (including returning to the Netherlands) we recommend you review the entry/exit requirements on Australia's Homepage | Smartraveller

The Australian Department of Home Affairs advice is that Australian citizens , including dual nationals should leave and enter Australia on their Australian Passport.

Holiday in Australia

Plan your trip with, the official Tourism Australia website, offering a wide range of travel information and planning tools including over 2000 images, a currency converter, daily weather updates, interactive maps, suggested holiday itineraries, holiday deals, specialist travel agents and more.

What medication am I allowed to bring into Australia?

Information about bringing medication into Australia can be found via the Therapeutic Goods Administration at Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) or the Office of Drug Control at Office of Drug Control (ODC) or by contacting TGA at [email protected] or phone +61 2 6289 4124.

Please note that the Australian Embassy in the Netherlands unable to assist with medication enquiries.

Can you bring it in? Custom and Imports

There are various rules and restrictions on what you can and cannot send or take with you to Australia. Can you bring it in

You will also need to know what you can and cannot bring into Australia, knowing the duty-free concession limits and what to experience when travelling through Australian airports and seaports. Entering Australia (

Driving in Australia

Information concerning the requirements for driving on foreign licenses within each State or Territory of Australia can be found at Overseas Drivers | Austroads

Tourist Refund Scheme

The Tourist Refund Scheme enables you to claim a refund, subject to certain conditions, of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on goods you buy in Australia.

Embassies and Consulates in Australia

If you are a Dutch citizen in need of assistance while in Australia you may wish to contact either the Netherlands' Embassy or Consulates located around the country. Nationals of other countries can consult the comprehensive lists of Embassies and Consular representatives in Australia.